One of the first vendors I was introduced to when I started working for Sage Innovations last fall were the wonderful and extremely talented ladies of Branch Design Studio. Newlywed, Eliza Apple, one of their lead floral designers, has such an outgoing and welcoming personality that I was instantly drawn to her. I am always blown away by the swoon worthy arrangements she creates and her ability to absorb a client’s vision and make it into a reality. It is vendors like her that make my job easier and much more fun! I truly value the friendship I have created with Eliza and the whole Branch team and am thrilled to have her featured on The Petal Report today.
Get ready to see some pretty flowers, y’all! They are best part of a wedding, after all.
WHAT IS THE NAME OF YOUR COMPANY AND WHAT DO YOU DO?
- My name is Eliza Apple and I am the Lead Designer at Branch Design Studio.
WHAT WAS THE FIRST SIGN YOU ENCOUNTERED THAT YOU WERE IN THE RIGHT INDUSTRY?
- I would have to say that the first sign that I was in the right industry would have to be when I had been there about a month. We were on a set up during fall wedding season and a bride, whom I had never met before, gave me the biggest hug in the world for just setting up her flowers. I knew then that I wanted to be in this industry where I could help make people’s visions come to life. (Its instances like those that make our jobs totally worth it…aren’t they?! -Cayleigh)
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ASPECT OF A WEDDING?
- My favorite aspect of a wedding would have to be meeting with the brides and creating their proposals. It’s amazing to help someone’s vision and design come to life. It’s the most rewarding thing to see it come together in final form on the big day as well. Oh! And of course I love arranging the flowers too!
WHAT FLORAL TREND DO YOU HOPE LIVES ON FOREVER?
- I hope that brides continue to push limits and experiment with color! I have so many brides right now that want so many unique color combinations and I love that their wedding is going to stand out! (Agreed! I love brides who like to do something a little bit unusual because it is those that everyone will remember.)
WHAT FLORAL TREND DO YOU HOPE DIES TOMORROW?
- Um…I would have to say I’m already sick of seeing white and green….or white and blush. It’s been done so many times before. However, if it’s those combinations with another pop of color – I’m on board!
WHAT IS THE STRANGEST REQUEST YOU HAVE GOTTEN?
- Haha! Well there have been a few – but I would have to say the one that sticks with me most was that the bride wanted to have live fish swimming in some of the arrangements. Which did not happen –some flowers can be very toxic to animals. (Oh dear! Glad y’all shot that one down. HA!)
WHAT IS THE MOST STRESSFUL PART OF YOUR JOB?
- The most stressful part of my job would have to be when you’re setting up a wedding. Because even though it’s not your big day, you want it to be absolutely perfect!
WHAT WAS THE BEST EXPERIENCE IN THE WEDDING INDUSTRY YOU HAVE HAD THUS FAR?
- The best experience I have ever had in the wedding industry was getting to see one of my first weddings I helped design come to life! She was one of the first bride’s I had ever met with and seeing the smile on her face and how happy she was with everything made my day! She truly appreciated everything and the day couldn’t have been more perfect!
IF YOU COULD GIVE ADVICE TO YOUR 21 YEAR OLD SELF, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
- I would say don’t sweat the small stuff and focus on the things that bring you the most joy in life. Don’t worry about what everyone else is doing, because they are just focusing on what makes themselves happy. (Great words of advice! I feel like I still need to remember that.)
WHERE DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN 7 YEARS?
- In 7 years I see myself still working at Branch with all the girls. I hope to have another child or two by then, still living in our cute little house with my husband, Ben, and dog, Sulli. And of course spending as much down time as I can out in the boat or at the beach!
FIRST LOOK OR DOWN THE AISLE?
- Down the aisle – that was the best moment seeing Ben’s face when I walked down the aisle at our wedding!
WHAT IS THE MOST UNUSUAL COLOR COMBO HAVE YOU SEEN USED FOR A WEDDING?
- I would say the most unusual color combo we have ever seen was dark purple, orange, bright red, and yellow. Or Yellow, orange, and lime green! It was a lot of color, but it was exactly what the bride was looking for! (Wow! Talk about some variety! Well if anyone could make those colors beautiful and cohesive, it’s you all.)
WHERE IS THE COOLEST SPOT YOU HAVE DONE A WEDDING?
- One of the coolest places we have ever done a wedding was at a private home on Sullivan’s Island last fall. It was beautiful and completely unique! (I think I remember that wedding…. 😉 )
IF YOU COULD DO ANY OTHER PROFESSION FOR A DAY, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
- If I could do any other profession for a day, I would love to be a celebrity stylist – especially for Taylor Swift, Blake Lively, and Kate Hudson. I have a degree in Fashion from SCAD and that side of the fashion world has always intrigued me.
IF YOU COULD REDO YOUR OWN WEDDING, WHAT WOULD YOU DO DIFFERENTLY?
- Nothing! I would just want to do it all over again so I could relive it all! It was the best day of my life! (And the most beautiful wedding ever! Note: featured in the most recent Charleston Weddings Magazine!)
Oh Eliza, you are just so sweet! Thank you for being open to my questioning and for sharing your insight. Stay tuned, y’all, as Eliza and I have some AH-MAZING weddings coming up this fall. You will not want to miss the mater-pieces she is going to create for our lovely clients!
And in two weeks, the adorable pair that makes up Wed On Canvas, live painting artists, is going to be on The Petal Report and I can’t wait for you to see what they can do. I’m pretty sure everyone should invest in their services for their wedding. It is a piece of art you will cherish forever. 🙂
(All weddings designed and coordinated by the wonderful (not biased at all) team at Sage Innovations except for Ms. Eliza’s! And, obviously, all florals created by the wonderful ladies at Branch Design Studio.)